Sunday, May 31, 2009

So long, childhood. Its been nice knowing you.

I don’t know how it happened.  To ME of all people? 

A few days ago I was in University, drinking obscene amounts of alcohol and stealing broken plastic chairs with my friends and a few days before that I was begging to go out on a school night with my highschool boyfriend and a few days before that I was bawling in my dads arms because I hadn’t made the Grade 9 basketball team and a few days before that I was homesick at a sleepover down the street….

Sometime, somehow, faster than I could believe it, I evolved into a mother, a doctor and a wife.   But up until yesterday I still FELT like a kid.  Suddenly, today - -everything changed.

This week, Toby and Rob are leaving for a few days I am faced with something I haven’t had in ages: solitude.

I will miss them immensely.  All day today I keep giving Toby extra kisses and taking longer smells of his beautiful blond hair while our usual Sunday husband and wife natterings are laced with humour and affection.  But at the same time, growing inside of me has been a little flicker of anticipation…I couldn’t put my finger on it at first, but suddenly out of the blue the thick molten lava of excitement bubbled up from the depths of my brain and out my mouth before I could stop it,


“Tomorrow, when I get home and there’s no one here....I’m going… to… GARDEN!!!!”

That’s right, folks.  It has been a long 31 year childhood.  I’ve enjoyed it and I’m sad to see it go.  But when I’m given a night completely devoid of responsibility or discretion and I choose to spend it WEEDING the GARDEN, the stamp of adulthood has been sealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment