Monday, June 1, 2009

The Midnight Shampoo Crisis

Last night as we were about to fall asleep Rob BOUNCED out of bed because he’d remembered that he’d forgotten to pack his shampoo.  He’s going on a 3-day class trip with Grade 8 students.  Half of which will be boys. 

I COULD have rolled back over and gone back to sleep, but I was a concerned wife so I sat up and watched to make sure he successfully found shampoo and returned to bed in one piece.

It was quick.  TOO quick.

When I asked him how he, who usually just uses MY shampoo, managed to find shampoo that quickly without even turning on the lights, he told me that he’d just grabbed Toby’s shampoo.

That being Toby’s bright fluorescent yellow Johnson’s NO TEARS, NO TANGLES “Buddies” shampoo with the giant smiling bathtub on the front.

Once again, I was faced with the option to go BACK to sleep, but I fought through the fatigue in attempts to salvage my husband’s reputation.  Sitting up even FURTHER in bed I suggested that maybe a class trip with GRADE 8 BOYS and other MALE STAFF was NOT the best place to take the “Buddies” No tears No Tangles shampoo.  In the fluorescent yellow bottle with the smiling bathtub on the front.

It was dark in the room but I could see the frustrated look of confusion on his face.

Seriously?  Have you not MET grade 8 boys?  Just because you’re the TEACHER does NOT make you immune to being laughed at behind your back.

Rob doesn’t take kindly to my shampoo suggestions - -and I GUESS he has a right not to.

It all stems from the LAST time I made a suggestion about his shampoo use.  About 2 years ago - -when I got tired of him using my expensive shampoo and decided to buy him some of his own.  His only stipulation was that it was “a big bottle” and it was “cheap”.  I looked hard for the cheapest, biggest bottle I could find and I hit a Superstore Jackpot - - 1 litres for $1.75.  That’s right a full LITRE of shampoo for $1.75.  And it even had a picture of a man riding a horse on the front. 

Manly.  Cheap.  Big Bottle.  PERFECT.

Until I got it home and Rob read the bottle and realized it was actually horse shampoo.

I don’t know what he ended up taking with him on his class trip. Could have been the baby stuff.  Could have been the horse stuff.  Could have been my good expensive stuff.  I just hope someday before I have a household of husbands and adolescent boys someone invents them their own shampoo.

1 comment: