Sunday, May 24, 2009

Fly by kisses

Warning : This blog entry may very well cause me to be disowned by BOTH of the men in my life….but I couldn’t resist…

 

Love hurts.  Toby has shown this to us in MANY ways over his first 14 months of life, but none so blatantly as he has been doing lately with his kisses.

 

I don’t know if you remember from my previous post, but the poor little guy has been having some problems lately discerning kisses from bites.  In his head, in fact, I think really MEANINGFUL kisses ARE bites- -you just love someone SO MUCH that you end the opened mouth face press with a CHOMP for good measure.

 

Recently, though, Toby has gotten more and more creative with his kisses.  Why SHOULD they just be on the cheek?  We’ve got lots more readily accessible body parts that are easier for his 1 foot frame to hit during his fly by love-attacks…

 

It was all fun and games though until a few days ago when our little guy took it a little too far…

 

I didn’t know who to comfort first- -it all happened so fast…Rob was sitting on a stool reading the newspaper and I was at my computer. Toby was walking by the stool and chomped down between Rob’s legs in an honest-to-goodness-hard-core-skin-piercing-penis-kiss.  I don’t have a penis.  But by the reaction Rob gave I think it is quite possibly the WORST place to receive a skin-breaking-love-bite….In the blink of an eye the stool,  the newspaper, Rob’s shorts and our son fell to the floor with a CRASH and a YELP.  Toby immediately BURST into uncontrollable sobbing as Rob bounced around the kitchen grabbing his penis in despair.


I did what any mother would do in this situation – picked up my son and started to cry.  Useful, hormones, useful.


I am happy to recount that The Penis is OK.  (I capitalized it – small pittance for being bitten and then blogged about…)  Toby is also OK, although he was very confused and I think his feelings were hurt.  Rob, being the bigger man and a great daddy, put his genital woes aside to comfort Toby and explain to him that we don’t like biting.  We left it at that.  One day he’ll get it.  …And I thought the breastfeeding stories would embarrass him…

1 comment:

  1. When you said "I did what any mother would do in this situation"...um maybe I'm not any other mother...because I think I'd probably start laughing hysterically prior to picking up my kid :))) And then follow that by some more laughing at my husband....maybe I'm evil

    ReplyDelete