Thursday, September 16, 2010

Toby's Tennis Antics

Don’t ever say your kid can’t learn things from watching sports on TV. For the past few weeks, Rob and Toby have bonded over the US Open. IN fact, we’re going through a bit of tennis withdrawal now that it’s over. Toby loves to watch and emulate any and every sport that he is exposed to and it was no different with tennis. Despite the fact that he doesn’t own toy tennis rackets and is not allowed to play with tennis balls in the house, he managed to put some of his new antics to the test despite our obvious attempts at curtailing his tennis playing.

It took me a while to figure out just what he was doing as he ran around patting the soccer ball and then throwing it overhead. But what gave it away was how he incorporated the blanket. “Hold this mommy and sit there” I was instructed. Excited not to have to actually run around during a game of “sports” I gladly took my position in the corner and held onto the blanket unsuspectingly. Toby ran back and forth across the room, hitting his soccer ball in his hand and jumping into the air and hten periodically running over to me and burying his face in the blanket.

It took me a while to catch on but soon I got it; I was the towel guy and he was running over to wipe his face. You can’t put anything past this kid! He doesn’t ask why, but eagerly accepts his keen observations as key parts of the new game of “tennis” that he is working hard to perfect. Judging from my view on the sidelines, I think he’s got the forehead sweat wipe down pat.

No comments:

Post a Comment