Sunday, September 19, 2010

Anatomy Lessons

The conversation was inevitable. It has been building for months and months and I’ve been avoiding it as best I could; changing my clothes in the closet and hopping out of the shower and into my towel quicker than his inquisitive gaze could follow. But it has only been a matter of time before I could avoid it no further...

Rob and I have always believed strongly in teaching Toby the correct anatomical terms for genitals and basic bodily functions that so fascinate little kids. He has known for a long time that he has a penis but despite the number of times I’ve been asked, I just can’t muster up the nerve to use the term “vagina” with him. I want to be honest with him and answer his questions but when I go to say it, the word just lodges in my throat and won't come out. My brain has obviously found something innately “risky” about teaching my word-spewing toddler the term “vagina” despite the attempts of my more rational mind to concede.

But today I was ambushed. It was just the two of us driving in the car when out of the blue Toby announced, “You don’t have a penis, Mommy.”

“No I don’t.” I answered honestly.

“Daddy has a penis. And I have a penis,” he continued and then paused with the inevitable question hanging in the air.

Taking a deep breath I finally let my rational brain win over and with as much normalcy as I could muster answered,

“And mommy has a vagina."

Toby thought about this for a moment and then replied,

“You have The Giant? Toby has a penis and Mommy has 'The Giant'."

After months of wondering, he seemed quite satisfied by this.

I heaved a sigh of relief; I had tried my best. And at least “The Giant” isn’t as weird sounding as “foo foo” or “vee-jay”. In fact, I think for now ‘the Giant’ will do just fine.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...perfect!!!! I am always reminded of the story someone told me when I had small curious children. "Susie comes home and asks her Mom ..where did I come from? Mom sighs and decides OK it is time for the 'reproduction lesson'. She explains sex, the birth process... all the time using the correct names. Susie looks at her, a little confused and says... Gee Bobby comes from Ottawa!" It is always nice to REALLY understand what they are asking.... The Giant works! ;-)

    ReplyDelete