Saturday, September 25, 2010

Toby's Jokes

“Mommy!” I was jolted out of my dinner enjoyment, “You need to go to a time out!”

“Why?” I asked after politely finishing my mouthful.

“Because,” Toby informed me, wagging his finger in the air, “You were being RUDE.”

“What!!?!?” I answered dramatically with a smile creeping over my face, “I most certainly was NOT being RUDE!” I played along.

“Yes, you were, Mommy” I was informed, “You were. And now you need to go to a time out.”

Within seconds his serious face crumbled into peels of devilish laughter. After all - - WHAT could POSSIBLY be more ludicrous than a MOMMY being RUDE and then having to go to TIME OUT? When it comes to 2 year old jokes, I had to hand it to him, that was a pretty good one.

What came next, however, caught me completely off guard.

“Mommy?” Toby gasped as his mass hysteria subsided, “You’re my best friend…”

The grin on his face told me this last statement was NOT a joke. I don't know where he learned the term or even the CONCEPT of having a best friend, but I'm feeling like a very lucky mommy tonight to have been chosen as his.

No comments:

Post a Comment