Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Mystery of the Scissor Obsession : solved


One of Toby’s favourite presents this year was a new Doctor’s kit. Last year he got a dollar store version of one, which he LOVED but, unfortunately, it broke a few months ago. This new doctor’s kit is a bit of a step up - - it comes complete with otoscope, name tag, AND a pair of scissors. (Plastic, of course.)

I didn’t know where my son’s obsession with scissors came from before this Christmas, but I’m starting to get a sense of it. We bought him kid scissors for his stocking after repeatedly hearing him say that that is what he wanted from Santa. And his reaction didn’t disappoint – he definitely wanted his own pair of scissors.

I am lucky that the new doctor’s kit (and plastic doctor scissors) were opened before we gave him free reign over his real scissors. As Toby eagerly opened his doctor’s kit he bypassed the stethoscope and even the toy needle to get to the scissors and assumed his bossy position behind my mother on the couch, raised his hands and announced, “OK , Grandma. I have scissors. Now I’m going to cut your hair.”

As every parent who loves their job probably finds themselves thinking, I have often thought about the day I’d (maybe?) get to say, “I knew Toby wanted to be a doctor when he was 2 years old and fell in love with this dollar store doctor’s kit…” But this image is now being overshadowed by the thought of him standing in his very own salon with me proudly saying, “I always knew he had a flare for hairdressing!”

No comments:

Post a Comment