Sunday, January 9, 2011

And time stands still...

The speed at which time has gone by throughout this pregnancy has been incredible. Every week just flew by and I’d find myself shocked to see how far along I was all of a sudden. I think it was the build up to Christmas, which happens earlier and earlier each year, that always made me feel a few weeks ahead of the game. And then the holidays themselves were busy and entertaining and I blinked again and here I am, 1 week from my due date.

And the time-train has suddenly lurched to a halt.

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

I literally sit around, WILLING my clock to go faster. It doesn’t. What happened to my fast paced, chaotic life? The crib is set up, the bags are packed, the phone numbers are in my phone, and my patients have been handed over. So why do I feel this sense of impatience?

I don’t know WHY I can’t just sit back and enjoy these last few days. I am napping every day, enjoying hot tubs with Rob at night for my back, cherishing my one on one time with Toby and speaking regularly to good friends and family who are equally as excited as I am. Life is as uncomplicated as it gets right now and yet I have this antsy feeling stirring inside of me.

I guess I can put it down to two things:

1. I am not a procrastinator. When there’s a job to be done that is going to be at all unpleasant, I’d rather go first and get it over with.

2. As my friend Alex rationally reminded me last week, I’m probably just excited – and that’s normal. We got pregnant for a reason and as much as part of this feels like I can’t wait to get the labour over with or to not be pregnant any more, a large part of it stems from my crazy excitement to meet this new addition to our family. Few things in life are as exciting welcoming a child into the world.

It all seems quite reasonable as I write this, doesn’t it? So I will sit here in my holding zone, trying desperately to enjoy and not wish away these last few moments of peace before chaos ensues, but secretly hoping that my baby is like me this time and decides to be efficient about things.

I will keep you posted…

No comments:

Post a Comment