Thursday, April 2, 2009

Dad-versations

I had a great conversation with my dad earlier this week.  He’s usually pretty vague on details and I push him a little so he practices exercising his short-term memory. Sometimes I’m met with dead end one-word answers, but this day he was particularly chatty….

 

ME : “Hi, Dad, is mom home?”

Dad : “Uh…I don’t know….”
ME : “Could you check for me?”
Dad : “OH…well…FINE. She’s out.  She’s at Pat’s.”

ME : “OH that’s nice.  How was your weekend?”

Dad : “Fine.”

Me : “What did you do?”

Dad : “Uh…we went out”

Med : “Where?”

Dad : “Um….to Pat’s”

Me : “Hmmm….really?....  Just you and mom?”
Dad : “Uh….yeah.  Except there was another couple there.  I don’t know their names”

Me : “What did you have for dinner?”

Dad : “Pork”

 

Long pause

 

Dad : “Special pork.  It was made in this….well….special way….it was good.”

Me : “Sounds great.  What are you guys up to tonight?”

Dad : “Uh….Marion’s coming.  We’re watching something.  On TV.”

Me : “The Junos?”

Dad (after a long pause) “….Sure….”

ME : “Dad….are you SURE you’re watching the Junos”

Dad ;”No.  Not really.  More like the skating”

Me ; “Oh good! T he skating that’s great!”  (I was excited because I had seen that there WAS skating on so I figured he was telling the truth…)

 

At this point, I’m feeling pretty impressed with my dad’s information.  This is the most I’ve gotten out of him in ages.  And then I pushed my luck….

 

Me : “Well, we went out for dinner last night”

Dod : “Oh, you did?  That’s nice.  We’re going out for dinner tonight!”

Me : “You are? I thought Marion was coming in to watch the skating.”

Dad : “Nope”


Silence.

 

Choosing to ignore his previous comment I carried on with, what I hoped would be a new topic…

Me : “Isn’t it Marion’s birthday on Wednesday?  Are you guys doing anything for her?’
Dad :  “Oh, yeah….so it is….No I think we did that last night. That’s right.  We celebrated it last night.  We took her out for dinner.”


Riiiiiight.


Me : “Well, Dad, tell mom I called”

Dad : “OK!  But I think she’s out….”

No comments:

Post a Comment