Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Population Explosion at Brewster Lake. Or not.

I have mentioned before that we live in the middle of nowhere; I have to admit that I have a love/hate relationship with my house. Some days after the kids are in bed, I sit on the swing and listen to the crickets chirping while the sun sets as the waterfall Rob built trickles in the background and I can’t imagine a more serene location. Other days I would give anything to live in town so I could walk somewhere. Or take a taxi home. Or ride my bike to work. Or get a coffee from the Espresso post on Sunday morning. Or order a pizza for delivery.

One day I hope to have the best of both worlds…but for now I will continue to use my rapid cycling rollercoaster of emotion about my house as good material for my blog J

Sometimes there are moments, even when the crickets are chirping and the waterfall is flowing that I am reminded of our isolation. Yesterday held one such moment. Toby was sitting staring out the front window when all of a sudden he excitedly pointed out to me, “MOMMMY! Look at all of those PEOPLE over there!!!”

Naturally, when you are used to a population of zero out of your front window, an impending swarm of thousands brought me running.

To my disappointment, I was not greeted with my brain’s anticipatory delusion. There was, in fact, nobody on the road save the few trees that are usually there. But off in the distance I could see what Toby thought was a mirage of socialization: our neighbors clothes line and their brightly coloured laundry. It did kind of look like a line of lots of people.

Sigh. Back to the crickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment