Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Maternal Pride

Mia has a new trick.

And not only am I thrilled to see that my baby girl CAN learn new things and has the potential to grow into a rational, logistically thinking individual, I also have a touch of that irrational mummy brain excitement going on. Thank heavens it is happening again!

Before Mia was born I was reliving Toby’s baby days through the countless videos I took. Looking back on them I was APPALLED at my high pitched voice and the shrill edge of lunacy as I pointed out to the camera his seemingly groundbreaking discoveries; holding his head up (lasting all of 5 seconds before it violently slammed against my breast) and reaching for a rattle (after an agonizing 5 minutes of anticipation with shaky amateur camera work) and saying the word “blueberry” in what I thought was completely coherent adult word. (It came out as “Ba-Ba”) Now that Toby comes home from daycare proudly announcing that he can say the days of the week in French, or recite the importance of Reduce, Reuse and Recycle, I wondered how I would ever be able to meet Mia’s first accomplishments with the same exhilaration as I once did with her big brother.


Well, not to worry – I can. And once again, it came quite naturally.

Today she woke up from her nap SPITTING at me. At first I was taken aback. She wouldn’t even breastfeed she was SO excited about her new ability to spit. After a good 10 minutes of this she FINALLY showed me what she had been working at during her morning nap; Mia blew her first raspberry.

The look of elation on her face was nothing compared to the whoop of joy and hand clapping praise I showered her with.


My baby girl can (sort of) blow a raspberry. And once again I’m a (slightly crazy) proud mama.

But not to worry- - I have learned SOMETHING from my experience with my first-born. This time, to save myself from future embarrassment, I DIDN’T take a video.

No comments:

Post a Comment