Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Introducing...Zak Henry


It wasn’t long after Mia was born that Rob announced, “Well, now all we need is a dog!” I believe my response was ”over my dead body” but I can’t QUITE remember, as I was busy doing something like delivering the placenta or having my insides stitched up at the time. In fact, I had quite forgotten about his statement until a few months ago when he began to mention it. Again. And. Again.

Yes, that’s right – I bought my husband a dog for Fathers day. We have officially become a family of 5. This newest edition didn’t quite take the full 9 months - just a few intensive weeks of daily kijiji searching and we have found ourselves the perfect dog to join our family. His name is Zak.

Zak is a 3-year-old “Red Retriever”. I’m not completely sure such a thing ACTUALLY exists – he may just be a cross between a golden retriever and an Irish Setter. Either way, he is a beautiful auburn colour and is extremely friendly. He lived with a family with two young kids in Stayner on a big lot with no fence and is used to lots of land and young kids. He was in the car all of five minutes before he settled down to sleep and made it clear to us that he feels right at home.

Despite being bowled over a few times, Toby is already referring to Zak as “his dog” although it is quite clear that Rob is alpha dog. Mia giggles at the sloppy wet kisses she now receives on a regular basis, and I am reluctantly admitting that he is, indeed, the perfect addition to our family.

I am accepting nominations for wife of the year award, as the year 2011 will be forever remembered as the year in which I gave my husband a daughter AND a dog (while graciously accepting a frying pan as my mothers day present.)

No comments:

Post a Comment