Thursday, April 28, 2011

Bath time "excitement"

Mia has been working very hard lately at mastering a skill that has taken me weeks to teach her. It is with great pride that I can finally report…that she can kick her feet in the bath.

And cause a splash.

On command.

It doesn’t seem like much, but she has taken this conquest VERY seriously. So seriously, in fact, that she does it with the STERNEST of looks on her little face. She reminds me of one of those crazy kilted dancers whose upper torso is totally immobile while their legs kick in and out at such a fast pace you wonder how they can possibly be attached to the upper body. As soon as she gets in the bath her eyebrows furrow, her little tongue pokes out (this is her look of intense concentration) and then her little legs start kicking and kicking, water splashes everywhere and, while I erupt into hands-clapping-mouth-open-high-pitched-encouraging-baby-voice-laughter she just stares at me in deep concentration.
No matter how much splashing occurs, how hard I clap or laugh; she doesn’t dare even CRACK a smile.

It is fantastic to see that she CAN learn things and that she is even somewhat obedient by humouring me in my insistence that she learn this new skill. But if she weren’t such a smiley, happy baby at other times, I would have serious concerns about her inability to find the “fun” in this activity. From the look on her face the only thing I can imagine that she is thinking is “For some reason you want me to kick and splash in the bath - -well here you go. But don’t expect me to be happy about it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment