Thursday, September 3, 2009

Cucumber Slices and Forks

Every day at daycare Toby gets a “progress report” that tells us what he’s been up to that day, how long he napped, what he ate for lunch and what sort of things they found in his diaper. As someone who has spent the last 18 months fussing about the above things in DETAIL, it’s something I look forward to reading every day.
Sometimes I think they write it fairly generically - -like, for example, when they say he had pasta, yoghurt and CUCUMBER SLICES for lunch, I’m always a little skeptical. Unless they serve some sort of magical cucumber slices that look, taste and smell like chocolate; my son has never let me even put a cucumber slice up to his LIPS let alone CONSUME one. They have about a 15 millisecond survival time on his plate before they are thrown onto the floor with the usually verbose explanation, “NO NO NO NO!!!” accompanied by a look of utter DISGUST and DISAPPOINTMENT at me.

The first time I read about the horrendous CUCUMBER SLICE as part of his meal I almost marched right back in there to clarify and ask what magical cucumber they had come from OR offer some useful strategies to get flying cucumber bits out of the daycare worker’s hair… But when I thought about it some more I came to the conclusion that they were probably just somewhere in his vicinity. And they seem to think he’s a perfect ANGEL so far (?) so I don’t want to crush their delusions JUST yet….

So imagine my surprise yesterday when his progress report SPECIFICALLY mentioned lunch time and how he had “asked for a fork.” With an exclamation mark. And a smiley face.

“Toby asked for a FORK! ☺ “

Random.

Until I thought about it.

And how ODD it would be if you were sitting there peacefully serving 10 toddlers lunch and one of them decided to announce, “FORK! FORK! FORK!” in a somewhat slurred attempt at the English language.

I wonder how long it took them to realize he WASN’T in fact swearing at them. I hope it made their day as much as the image of it made mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment