Monday, July 18, 2011

First Day Back - Take 2



Yes, that’s right, that’s a stethoscope around my neck; at long last, yet all of a sudden, the day has come for me to go back to work. I celebrated my return to work by taking the day off. After the token “back to work photo” (I have a simlar one of me and Toby) I hung my stethoscope back up and took Toby to his first dentist appointment and then met our office staff for lunch.

I remember my first day back from my mat leave with Toby was riddled with anxiety; Would I remember enough to still offer my patients good care? Would Toby take the bottle? Would he nap for Rob? Would Rob be waiting for me at the end of the day ready to hand our son over and return to his teaching job? By 5pm I was exhausted and desperate to see my little boy.

By 5pm today I was exhausted from drinking beer on a patio in the stifling heat, but I can’t say I was at all anxious. It seems I have learned a thing or two this time around J

So what WAS I feeling?

Sigh. As always, life with kids is filled with mixed emotions. Primarily, I'm elated that Mia and Rob are doing so well together that the transition has been seamless. I sheepishly admit that I am also a bit relieved to have survived yet another maternity leave. I'm excited to return to my job and patients that I love, yet I'm already nostalgic for the 6 months I've just spent soothing, feeding and falling in love with my little girl. But above and beyond I'm feeling grateful; for having both a job and a family that I love so much that every day is filled with excitement and yearning.

And what about Rob and Mia? My little girl, who, up until 2 weeks ago was completely dependent on me alone, converted to a total daddy's girl within 24 hours of Rob being on summer vacation. I'll close this post with some photographic evidence of my current obsoleteness in the Daddy-Daughter bond that has fast emerged.

Thank you, my sweet girl, for making life so deliciously complicated and riddled with emotion. I leave you in the best of hands...

No comments:

Post a Comment