Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Christmas Miracle?? Not quite...

We spent this past weekend at the farm in Chatham, enjoying some quiet Christmas time (as quiet as it gets with 5 children under the age of 4) and last minute wedding planning. Lots of time to sit around in baggy maternity pants and eat homemade goodies while the kids entertained themselves = 9th month of pregnancy bliss.

It was wonderful and stress free until about 8:45am on Sunday morning when we had to get dressed for church. I had packed my black maternity dress trousers and a red shirt: nothing fancy but festive enough. When I went to put them on, however, I noted with HORRROR that I couldn’t even get the pants up over my bum. I lay on the bed and pulled. I heaved. I sweated. Finally I got them up but the maternity band was so tight it took my breath away.

These pants had fit perfectly earlier in the week -- WHAT had HAPPENED!?!?!?

I got a bit frantic as I heard everyone packing the kids up to go. I couldn’t very well go to church in my SWEAT pants but these pants were NOT going on. My brain then flipped to WHY - - was it all fluid retention? Was something WRONG with me or was my mother-in-law's baking THAT effective at packing the weight on?? I took the pants off and looked at my thighs (or as much of them as I could see) and then turned to examine myself in the mirror.

Warning: Do not, when 36 weeks pregnant, stand naked with your socks on and look in the mirror HOPING to reassure yourself that you don’t look like an overinflated cow. The mirror will not lie. You do.

It was a horrific sight. I almost burst into tears (stupid hormones) but the only thing more embarrassing than emerging from the room in sweatpants would be to come out in sweat pants and hysterics.

I sighed and turned back to the evil black pants that lay taunting me from the bed and figured I’d give it one more go.

They fit!

Was it the Christmas miracle? Not quite…turns out I’d been putting them on backwards the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment