Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Quiet One

As the process of bringing another child into the world speeds by, I thought it only fair to spend at least ONE post mentioning this little being who is quickly taking over my heart…but not, as of yet, a huge amount of my time; Toby does enough of that for the both of them.


One of my favourite times of day (OK who am I kidding- - my FAVOURITE time of day) is bedtime for many reasons. A) I get to lie down B) I get to read C) I have no naivety about the upcoming road ahead and am hoping to please the baby sleep gods by being FULLY appreciative of every full nights sleep I am thankfully enjoying now…but most importantly, it’s the 5 minutes I spend with my hands on my belly just enjoying the little kicks and movements of the baby. Rob has started to enjoy these 5 minutes with me and commented the other night “Isn’t it funny that the baby ALWAYS seems to move at THIS time and never at any other time of day???”

I contemplated this for a second before I pointed out that the baby probably DOES move a lot at other times of the day but, unlike the first pregnancy, I just don’t have the luxury of time to recognize it and stop what I’m doing to acknowledge it.

How disappointing it is when we personify the fetus in utero based on their kicks and movements and then realize how lacking in marbles they really are when they come out a wailing, irrational hot mess. I remember Toby always kicked to Kanye when he was still in the womb and I pictured him as this cool little hip-hop kid. Needless to say, he didn’t come out that way and is only now acquiring a taste for MY kind of music ;)

Nonetheless, I can’t help but do it again with this next one and am already picturing him/her as a quiet little thing who waits patiently for my 5 minutes of attention at the end of the day and then sweetly and softly kicks away to let me know they're alive and well and excited to meet us.

I SUSPECT that, just like the last time, I’m in for a rude awakening…but until then, these 5 minutes are ones that I look forward to all day and I’m treasuring the opportunity to watch my belly and heart grow all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment