Sunday, August 8, 2010

Toby-isms

Toby loves to talk. They say by two they should have 2 word sentences; I think his current average is about 18. People often comment to us about how “advanced” his language is - - my response is always just that “he gets lots of practice”. It’s fantastic to know that he’s meeting his milestones and very convenient to have a constant running commentary on his life, but at times like these, even for those of us who AREN’T pregnant, it can be exhausting.

His most recent saying, asked with a slight tilt of the head and the perfect inquisitive inflection to his voice is, “So…how’s your day, mommy?”

It’s a handy phrase to have; it fills the natural lulls of conversation quite nicely and often gets a response from first time listeners. After a few months of this, the phrase has lost it’s cutesy appeal ESPECIALLY when I am asked first thing in the morning BEFORE my coffee or shower as I drag my pregnancy-drugged-sleepiness out of bed to sit with him while he eats his breakfast.

My response, at that time, is usually a snarl.

His latest interest is being naked which he calls, “Nakey” and then rubs his belly and comments on how he does or doesn’t have a baby inside of it. (The response varies depending on his mood.) Sometimes he goes as far as to wag his finger at me and warn me to “be careful with me mommy, I have a BABY in my belly.”


Yesterday when he took his shoes off he noticed he was in his bare feet and excitedly remarked, “Look, mommy! I’m in my TOES!” .

As advanced as he may seem, we obviously still have some work to do on human anatomy…

No comments:

Post a Comment