Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Alien Influx

Over the summer we have had an influx of inhabitants into the Henry household. Most of them appear to have come from outer space as is inferred by their alien names; Gochar, Atar, Heenie and Gomchat. There are lots more, but these are the ones we hear about the most. The one we “encounter” the most is Gochar. I’ve never actually SEEN him, but I know he’s around because he regularly runs races with Toby (and wins), takes up an extra seat (or sometime’s Toby’s seat) at meals, and plays games of volleyball that I am frequently requested to watch (and cheer for).

It’s a good thing I had imaginary friends when I grew up or I would be seriously questioning the sanity of my child. As opposed to Toby, I only ever had ONE imaginary friend. Its name was Dorothy and, as I proudly announced to my grandmother one day, “Dorothy is a man”. Perhaps the androgynously creative alien names are his way of not having to classify gender at this point; he’s obviously very open minded and I’m proud to see him taking a gender-neutral approach to his imaginary friends. At the same time, I’m relieved to know that he’s getting a proper sibling to play with in the near future…

So stay tuned for more exciting tales of Gochar, Atar, Heenie and Gomchat. My child never ceases to astound me…you just never know what’s coming next!

No comments:

Post a Comment