Friday, December 18, 2009

Mommy's Giant Poinsettia meets Toby's Loud Mouth

Toby has evolved into quite the little chatterbox. Gone are the days when we have to repeat things 4 or 5 times for him to learn it—he’ll attempt almost any word or phrase with gusto and MOST of the time it even comes out somewhat understandably. It’s fantastic to watch but I’m starting to learn that it has its drawbacks.

The other day I made my first big “oops”. It wasn’t an OBVIOUS one like swearing or telling him a big secret. I didn’t even see it coming…

Although Toby has developed some keen linguistical skills, he’s somewhat lacking in the adaptability department. In particular, he doesn’t like transitions, and one of his LEAST favourite transitions is when he has to leave daycare, put his snowsuit on, and get in the car. This kid LOVES daycare so it takes some end-of-the-day creativity on my part to convince him that there’s something worth leaving for.

On this particular day I was coming from the office and I had a GIANT Poinsettia plant in the back seat. It was a Christmas gift from one of my (very generous) patients and it is quite literally the BIGGEST poinsettia I’ve ever seen. It was probably a poorly behaved Japanese Sumo Wrestler in its past life that did something REALLY wrong and got reincarnated as a pink poinsettia plant.

You get the picture.

So I decided to use my lovely plant as my daily bargaining point for leaving daycare,

“Toby - - mommy has a BIG FLOWER in the car. Do you want to get in the car and SEE Mommy’s BIG FLOWER?”

It didn’t sound weird the first time I said it, but as Toby excitedly marched through the crowds of exhausted parents and kids yelling, “Toby see mommy’s BIG FLOWER in the CAR!” I began to turn a nice shade of poinsettia-pink.

I’m not up on my vernacular of terms that describe the female genitalia, but I have a sinking suspicion that “flower” is one of them. And another sinking suspicion that all of the other daycare moms think I have a rather “large” one that my 2 year old did or didn’t get to see when he got to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment