Friday, October 16, 2009

Love, according to my 19 month old

I had to say goodbye to Toby for a few days today as he’s off to visit with his cousins in Chatham for the weekend while I host a Stagette party for one of my good friends. So this morning when I left for work I lingered a little on the goodbyes. I gave him an extra long hug and 100 extra kisses and when I got to the door, turned around and said, “I love you!” one last time.

Toby, who was at the couch by this time, responded to my declaration of love by smiling and then wrapping his arms around himself in a huge hug before throwing his hands over his eyes and then blowing me a kiss.

Toby is told quite regularly that he is loved but he does not say it back. It’s a hard concept to teach a 19 month old who is still barely grasping the concepts of colours. And we never DID teach him baby sign language. But somehow he conveyed back to me exactly what he thinks the definition of love is: loving smiles, warm hugs, games of peekaboo and blowing someone a kiss as they walk out the door.

I think it’s a good definition for motherhood as well….

No comments:

Post a Comment