Saturday, October 3, 2009

Cow Gazing

Just your regular rainy Saturday afternoon here. We were all going a little stir crazy being in the house all weekend, soToby and I decided to take a road trip to Singhampton to get the Globe and some Sherry (for the soup Rob is making...) and on the way home I casually decided to take a back road detour to see if we could find any cows.

Why, you ask? Do I ALWAYS go looking for cows? Well, no, not USUSALLY…until about a week ago after we took Toby to the Great Northern Exhibition and we spent (what felt like) HOURS gawking at the cows. They are now officially his FAVOURITE animals and EVERY TIME we get in the car he asks, “cows? COWS?” And USUALLY, no, we’re NOT going to see cows. So today I thought, “Why not? Lets go find some cows.”

I am happy to report that the cows on Concession 8 were out in full force despite the rain. And they were up to all the usual exciting-things-that-cows-do, such as standing still, eating grass and mooing. JACKPOT.

Toby INSISTED that we get out of the car to see them and so we did. In the rain. He then questioned WHY we were not sitting DOWN to see the cows (as we had done at the exhibition). After I’d convinced him that standing on the side of the deserted road in the pouring rain was good enough, he proceeded to watch. And watch. And watch. After 10 minutes of WATCHING (in the rain) I made the offhand suggestion (SUGGESTION) that MAYBE we leave....BIG mistake.

And so we kept watching. Because the only thing that makes cow-watching-in-the-rain-on-concession-8 WORSE is to do it while trying to hold down a temper tantruming 19 month old.

And so the cow watching continued with such exciting moments as the mommy cow peeing and one of the baby cows mooing. And, occasionally, they would walk a few steps to find more grass.

Fascinating.

I was 5 seconds away from getting the cooking Sherry out of the car when Finally – FINALLY – my silently-mesmerized boy opened his mouth to point out, “Cows….Hat? Shoes?”

What? SERIOUSLY? We stand out here in the RAIN on Concession 8 watching COWS for 30 minutes and all you can come up with is HAT? SHOES?

But then I got it…and it was indeed a good question…why IS it that this particular species is allowed out in the rain WITHOUT their hat and shoes on? Everyone ELSE has to wear them!

As we chatted about why cows don’t wear hats and shoes EVEN in the rain, we made our way over to the car and I was FINALLY allowed to leave. As I got him into the car seat Toby was still straining to get one last glimpse of his mirage of cows and I said, “Say bye-bye to the cows!” Two minutes later I heard his first 5 syllable sentence; “Bye bye to the cows!”

I guess it was an enjoyable outing afterwards. And I didn’t even have to crack the sherry.

No comments:

Post a Comment