Thursday, March 5, 2009

To sharpen or not to sharpen...

So I went to play hockey tonight and decided to get my skates sharpened.

 

This may not SOUND like blog-worthy news, but I haven’t sharpened my skates since we lived in Thunder Bay.  Which equals about 4 years.  I had myself fully convinced that not sharpening your skates was totally acceptable.  I think I heard someone once say that this one NHL player only sharpens his skates once a year.  Which, in my mind, gave me permission to only sharpen my skates every 4 years.

 

Basically,  I’m just lazy.   Not lazy enough to quit the best sport in the world, but lazy enough to do  it with old equipment and unsharpened skates and hope for the best.

 

But tonight sharpening my skates was the thing to do. Everyone was doing it.  And it was only $3 and the guy said he’d do them while I got changed- - efficient AND cheap.  SO I gave it a go.

 

Wow.

 

IT was like night and day - -as I whisked around the ice on my newly sharpened skates I felt like I’d traded in dull soup cans for Henkel knives.  It was incredible.  I realized that my pregnancy hiatus hadn’t left me COMPLETELY void of all hockey talent- - I could skate!  I could get the puck EVEN if the pass didn’t come directly to my stick!  I could stop at the blue line!  I even made a cool SHOOSH-ing noise when I stopped! 

 

It was like the day I got glasses and realized that trees weren’t just giant green blobs but actually consisted of discrete leaves that had edges and other cool things like that.

 

According to Rob, my I-don’t-play-hockey-so-I-shouldn’t-have-an-opinion-but-I’ll-put-my-two-cents-in-anyways husband, he has spent the past 4 years NAGGING me to get my skates sharpened.  To quote him directly, “I did TOO tell you to get them sharpened.  Everytime we drove past the Canadian Tire in Orangeville I’ve suggested it to you.”

 

(As an FYI - -we don’t live in Orangeville and when I’m driving THROUGH Orangeville I usually close my eyes and hope it ends soon.)

 

I think the theme of this week in my life is that sporting equipment caliber really DOES make a difference.  Maybe I haven’t been an unathletic clutz all this time- -maybe all I needed  were new skis and sharp skates!  I'll keep you posted...

1 comment:

  1. HA HA HA HA HA HA! You used to think I was crazy for getting my skates sharpened all the time! HA HA HA HA HA HA!

    ReplyDelete