Sunday, June 30, 2013

The Backseat Popsicle Conversation


Toby and I had to take an impromptu trip to the local general store in Singhampton this afternoon. It’s a quick trip but I enjoy Toby’s company and it’s a good outing for him – IF he’s willing to go.  Despite the fact that he usually ENJOYS the quick trip into town, today it took some bribing; a popsicle bribe to be precise.   

After picking out a huge sugar-filled Life Saver popsicle for the arduous task of sitting in the backseat while I drove him 5 minutes down the road, he sat happily licking away in the backseat as we headed home.  After a few minutes of contented licking he suddenly piped up,

“Mommy…sometimes when you stand up you look tall.”

I asked him what (on earth!?!?) had possessed him to say that,

“Because!” he said a bit hurt, “You told me telling people they look OLD isn’t NICE!”

“OH.” I said and left it alone for a bit while Toby went happily back to consuming his popsicle.

Finally I just HAD to ask, “Toby, were you trying to tell me that I look OLD?” I said as neutrally as possible,

“No…” he said with a flick of his wrist, “I was just trying to tell you something nice that would make you happy!”

Ah…the power of popsicles.

I’m glad to know he is learning what NOT to say, but I guess I should give him a lesson on how to correctly compliment people as well….

No comments:

Post a Comment