Monday, April 20, 2015

Absence makes the heart grow fonder...

As a parent, whenever I go away for a night or two, be it for business or pleasure I am met with an insurmountable amount of guilt.  I imagine my bereft household grinding to a halt of inactivity and mourning in my absence and I appease my guilt by cooking meals in advance, scheduling play dates and activities and calling and texting regularly during my time away.  The last time I went away (for a whopping 48 hours) I baked a 2 layer banana cake and stuffed it with hidden popsicle sticks with cute messages like “Mommy loves you!” and “Hugs and kisses from me! xoxo” on them.

The kids LOVED the cake but lets be honest - -my absence did not rock their world.  The managed JUST FINE without me, with or without my secret cake messages.

I have been coming to accept the fact that they are growing up and becoming more independent and practical beings.  They have such full and complete lives that my absence for 48 hours, although perhaps a good bargaining tool at bedtime, doesn’t DEVASTATE them as it used to.  I’ve consoled myself with the rationale that it’s not a reflection of our relationship as much as a simple fact that they are maturing and getting to be more self sufficient.

Or so I told myself.

Last Monday, however, The Worst Thing To Ever Happen To Mia occurred without much forewarning OR a homemade double decker banana cake with hidden popsicle sticks with messages of love on them.

Jack Jack went to Mexico.

For a whole week.

I suppose we could have prepared her better for it.  Assuming she would treat it as she often treats my absences I didn’t so much as mention it to her until the day of. They left on Monday afternoon and somehow still managed to fit in a playdate on the morning of.

By Tuesday, however, Mia’s spidey senses knew something was up.  After asking me about 3 different times at breakfast who she was going to hang out with that day it still hadn’t registered that Jack was NOT on the list of options.  So she met Candice at the door in a desperate attempt,

“Hi, Candice.” She said getting right to the point, “Today is TUESDAY.  Are we or are we not going to the gym at the Y today with Jack Jack?”

Shot down for the 4th time that day.

Wednesday and Thursday mornings didn’t go any easier.  Each time the feigned ignorance, sometimes she cried.  ALWAYS she pouted.  By Friday she was desperate.

“Mommy.” She said to me, taking a different approach as she was eating her yoghurt, “Jack is coming home from Mexico TOMORROW, I think, so we are going to have a playdate.”

“Oh,” I replied honestly, not realizing I was being tested, “I thought he wasn’t home until Monday…”

“Well…CANDICE says he’s not home until Monday but I SAY he’s home tomorrow.”

I explained to her that if Candice and I BOTH thought he wasn’t home till Monday we were probably right.

She was exasperated and took it out on her toast as she flung it down on her plate in a giant huff of rage,

“I have been ASKING for a PLAYDATE with Jack Jack all WEEK!”

After a quick lesson on appropriate breakfast table manners, I took a different approach.

“Mia,” I said, “Why don’t we get Toby’s globe out and I will show you where Mexico is.”

This perked her up.

We got the globe out.  I showed her how close together Toronto and Collingwood seem to be on the globe yet how FAR apart they really are (that REALLY long car ride where you can watch SIX episodes of Sid the Science Kid and STILL not be there quite yet!) and THEN I pointed all the way down to Mexico and explained that it would take over THREE DAYS to drive there.  (Which is an inconceivable number of episodes of Sid the Science Kid…)

Mia’s jaw hit the ground.

Why on EARTH would Jack Jack have DRIVEN that far away!?!?!

I explained that he had actually taken an airplane but that I was just trying to demonstrate to her how FAR AWAY it is and that we can’t just go join him for a play date.

NOT SO FAST, Wisecrack.

 Why, then, if Jack Jack had flown there, couldn’t WE just go fly there and join them?

A tempting idea, granted, I reminded her of our recent family trip to Florida but promised that maybe one day we could take a trip with Jack Jack’s family and go somewhere all together.

That seemed to satisfy both of us and we put the globe away and finished our toast in near silence, until off in the distance Mia spotted a little boy riding a bike.

“Hmm….” She mused, “Who do you think that boy is down there, Mommy?”

I told her I didn’t know.

“Well…” she said knowingly, “That bike SURE does look like Jack Jack’s bike!”

Now it was my turn to throw my toast down.

“MIA!” I said, “That is NOT Jack Jack – he is in MEXICO that is just SOME other boy riding an orange bike on the trails.”

Mia was not so sure.  I suppose we just agreed to disagree as she got down from the breakfast table, thoroughly disgusted and muttering under her breath, “Well it looks a lot like Jack Jack’s bike to ME!”

Thankfully we managed to keep the princess occupied for the rest of the day on Friday. The nice weather helped.  In fact, I had all but forgotten about Jack Jack and his traumatic disappearance until Sunday morning.   We were having a lazy day; Rob and Toby were watching the soccer, I was reading the paper online and Mia was bustling around collecting things and being her usual busy body self.  We weren’t paying much attention to her at all until she arrived in the basement and parked herself in front of the TV with her hands on her hips and made an announcement.

Dressed in a summery dress with princess shoes, a necklace and a fully packed knapsack on her back, Mia smiled from underneath the huge sombrero she had managed to dig up out of the costume box and announced, “Goodbye!  I'm going to Mexico!”

I know I am in the minority of people who think this but I’ll say it anyways…THANK GOD ITS MONDAY.
Mia, sporting an authentic sombrero, about the hit the road for Mexico

No comments:

Post a Comment