Friday, July 25, 2014

Dental Differences

There is nothing that better highlights the differences between your two kids like their very first appointment at the dentist.  We are fortunate to have found a lovely, family friendly dentist in Collingwood who offers “peek-a-boo” appointments for 3 year olds so they get familiar with the staff and the place and the whole process before embarking on their first official tooth cleaning.

When I took Toby to his peek-a-boo appointment three years ago he was still in his very shy and obedient stage.  He took the whole things VERY seriously.  He didn’t make eye contact with the hygienist.  I had to pick out his pair of sunglasses for him.   He sat in the chair stoically and solemnly, not even cracking a smile when she showed him the "tickle spray" or the "sucky thing".  In fact, he was SO well behaved that the hygienist and I decided- what the heck – why not just do his first teeth cleaning right there on the spot!   He certainly wasn’t going to kick up a fuss....  And he didn’t.  In fact, I had to check a few times to make sure he wasn’t asleep during the process.

We left the appointment and I couldn’t have been more proud of my boy.

And then there was Mia.

Mia awoke the morning of her Peek-a-book appointment and BOUNCED out of her crib and IMMEDIATELY demanded to put on her very best summer dress and her patent leather shoes. 

I will leave the rest of the differences for you to pick out from the below photograph.


Yes, those ARE leopard skin cat-eye sunglasses.  No, I did not have to pick them out for her.

Although the hygienist had fun with her quirky personality and Mia's "wiggly-giggly" approach to the dental chair, a different conclusion was drawn at the conclusion of her appointment.

“Um...Maybe we should just wait to clean those teeth of hers until she’s 4….”

I couldn’t have agreed more.  There was no way she could have kept still in that chair for another second.

But despite the differences, I left that appointment equally proud of my energetic-life-loving little girl.  

Now if only I could borrow bit of Toby's calmness and Mia's eagerness the next time I have to see the dentist...

No comments:

Post a Comment