Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Bombshell Eyelashes

We all know the dangers of exposing kids to adult TV shows, but the thing that we often overlook is the amount of misinformation they can garner from one simple TV commercial.

Tonight in the bath Toby sang to himself, “There’s nothing that gets you  more attention than being PRETTY or being SICK.”

After I had digested this statement a few times I asked for some clarification,

“WHAT was that you just SAID?!?!”  I asked, covering my poor impressionable-and-already-obsessed-with-princesses-daughter’s ears.

Toby informed me that it was the TRUTH because he had heard it on TV for a commercial for “BOMB SHELL EYELASHES” (said with a fluttering of his oh-so-masculine ones).

“OH, so if you have nice eyelashes they call you a bombshell?”  I asked

“No, Mommy.  If you have really long and nice eye lashes it means you have a BOMBSHELL in them.”

OH I see.  I didn’t really WANT any more information on this but I got some more anyways.

“And if you have BOMBSHELLS in your eyelashes, Mommy, it means they look SEXY.”

(More flickering of the manly eyelashes.)

Sigh.  Just this morning I had a heart to heart with Toby about Disney princesses and how I don’t approve of their emphasis on looks.  We talked about all the other things it’s important to be other than PRETTY if you want to be a good person.  Toby came up with the idea of LOVE and being KIND to people and finding a job that you love doing.  I thought we had made such progress.

And now tonight, mere hours later, he’s corrupted again by bombshell eyelashes and the idea that being pretty is one of the best ways to get attention.

One more day on the rollercoaster ride of parenting…

No comments:

Post a Comment