Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Happy 6th Birthday, Toby!

I was describing you the other day to someone who hasn’t met you yet and thought I should share with you my descriptions of the person you are right now, as you approach your 6th birthday.

Toby, you are my golden boy.  I don’t know EXACTLY what “golden boy” means but it’s the first thing I think of when I describe you.  You shine at everything you do – whether it’s hockey, soccer, reading or singing O Canada, you do it earnestly with a passion and enthusiasm that makes you successful before you even begin.

You are a golden boy because you are innately GOOD.  You aim to please and crave attention for positive things.  When you come upstairs in the mornings and I am in the shower, you reach up on your tiptoes and grab my towel and stand there patiently waiting for me so you can hand me my towel the second I open the shower doors.  It’s a nice game we play where I pretend that I didn’t see AND hear you scuffling about trying to reach my towel or that I don’t see you behind the cloudy glass shower doors.  But I do, every time, and let me tell you – it never ceases to melt my heart when you do it.

You have always been obedient beyond your years.   This Christmas Daddy and I heard your little footsteps on the stairs at 6:45am.  As I’m sure you know, we ask you to stay in your room until 7am.  You were SOOO excited for Christmas and to see if Santa had come that I wasn’t surprised that ANY little kid would venture out 15 minutes earlier than expected.  So we fully expected to see your shining face in our room.  We lay there waiting and waiting and took turns guessing where you had gone…were you in front of the tree?  Were you very quietly opening your presents? After what felt like an eternity, Daddy Finally let me come out and you were nowhere to be found! Turns out you HAD been super excited but after getting to the foot of the stairs your goodness prevailed and you took only 2 steps up before forcing yourself to go back to bed and wait out the painful 15 minutes before the allowed time.  The self discipline that must have taken astounds me.  And, just for the record, Bug, you BEAT me.  I only managed to make it till 6:55 before coming down to get you myself…

Your goodness and earnestness breaks my heart, Toby.  I don’t know WHY exactly.  I’m not sad.  Nothing you do earnestly is ever done badly (well….one day I’ll let you hear the voice recording of O Canda and you can draw your own conclusions…) but one of the weird things about being a Mommy are the strange ways it can mangle and magnify the simplest of emotions.

I sincerely hope that you will always only get the goodness back out of life that you so eagerly give to it.  But I know along the way you will meet people who won’t always be excited to take the towel you so lovingly wait patiently to hand them.  And sometimes you will lose soccer games and hockey games and the little voice that greets you after the game won’t be my reassuring one but maybe one of a frustrated coach or an angry teammate, or even the disappointment at the back of your own head.  I wish I could protect you, my earnest little golden boy, from ever having your eager spirit dampened by anything beneath my innate, intense and unwavering love for you.

 Perhaps the hardest thing we do as parents are not those painful night feeds in the first few months, or listening to them cry it out at 6 months, or fighting tooth and nail at the dinner table to get them to eat their peas.  Perhaps the hardest is yet to come, when we set them free and leave their precious spirits to the mercy of others we haven’t lovingly screened for them.  I’m glad it happens in pieces…and for tonight, Toby, I’m glad you’re tucked in downstairs on your bear pillow, dreaming sweetly of how great it is going to be to be 6.   And great it will be.  I can’t wait to see where life takes you next…

All my love

Mommy xo

No comments:

Post a Comment