Friday, October 11, 2013

Conversations with Toby


One of the greatest things about our daily schedule is the fact that I get to drive Toby in to school every morning.  Last year this task seemed daunting and time consuming.  This year, having gotten the kinks ironed out and having gained the confidence to know that no matter HOW BAD of a morning we are having I will EVENTUALLY get to work (and most likely on time) I am finding it quite enjoyable...and one of the best things about it is the opportunity to have a conversation with him every morning.  We have covered a vast array of topics so far, but here are two of my favourites...

T : “Mommy, I think my friend Erin is allergic to the rain”
Me : “What makes you think that?”
T: "Well, yesterday when it was raining she asked me to make a shelter for her with my body.  And I did. “
Me: “That was nice of you”
T: "Yes, but then I got bored of standing there so I went to play with my friends and now I’m worried that she might have gotten sick cause I left her in the rain."

Toby at age 5: already being manipulated by girls.

And here's another current favourite...

T : “Mommy, I want to go to Chile”
Me : “Cool!  That would be awesome! Can I come too?”
T: “Yes.  And Daddy, too.  And I also want to go to Japan. And FRANCE because they speak French and Iceland and Prince Edward Island.”
Me: “Woah.  Toby, that’s a lot of places.  It sounds like you have a travel bug. “
T: “Maybe…but I DON’T want to go to Australia!”
Me ; : “WHY!?!?!”
T: “Because they are nocturnal.”

(insert long explanation about time zones, nocturnal animals and jet lag)

T: “OK fine I’ll go to Australia.”

Me:  “It makes me really happy that you want to travel, Toby.  In fact, Daddy and I just booked us a trip to FLORIDA this March break.”
T: “Oh, MAN!  I don’t want to go to FLORIDA!”
Me: “But we were going to go to Disneyland and see Mickey Mouse and Cinderella’s Castle and the Magic Kingdom…”
T: “Nah…I’d rather just go to the trampoline place in Collingwood.”

Kids can be SO weird sometimes…

No comments:

Post a Comment