Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Wendy's Birthday Party


So many stories to share…and so much time taken up enjoying these little moments that my blogging has gone by the wayside.  I suppose that’s a good thing, but I also struggle with this innate panic that in forgetting to document these little things, they will become distant memories and quickly forgotten.   This one is random - -but sweet.

Tonight, after skating, Toby and I had a dinner date at Wendy’s.

The build up to this date starts about a month ago when he got a notice of this fundraiser in his “communication bag” that comes home with him every day. Thank GOD for the communication bag.  It has helped to clarify MANY a puzzling discussion.  On this one particular night about a month ago, Toby’s inquisitive little head would not seem to settle onto his pillow at night.  When I finally asked him why he couldn’t just lie still and close his eyes while I rubbed his back he came clean with it.

“Mommy…there’s a party coming up.  It’s at Wendy’s house.  On March 20th.  Mrs. Shields says it’s TOTALLY up to you whether we go or not.  And I know it’s totally up to you…but…I just keep thinking that I don’t think it’s a good idea.”

Having not yet READ his communication book for the day I was a bit unprepared for this sudden announcement and was initially puzzled by his negative response to the party.

“Why would you not want to go to the party at Wendy’s house?”  my first reaction was.

“Well…” he said thoughtfully having OBVIUOSLY contemplated this at great length, “I don’t actually KNOW who Wendy is and you don’t have her phone number.  Also, I don’t think we know where she lives.  I think it’s just a BAD IDEA.  But, it’s TOTALLY up to you.”

Let me just set the stage here - -Mrs. Shields is your stereotypical gentle, slightly hippie, guitar playing- sweet voiced Kindergarten teacher.  I couldn’t ask for a more suitable one for Toby.  (And neither could he) and her word is the TRUTH and the LAW and I can only imagine the conflict now (after racing upstairs afterwards to read his communication book) as she carefully presented the information about the school fundraiser at Wendy’s in an unbiased way to her doting students.  I suspect Toby either took her unbiased approach to this party WAY too seriously or perhaps misinterpreted (or correctly interpreted?) this as disapproval?  Either way  - he was clearly uncomfortable with the whole thing.

And so I reassured Toby that we didn’t HAVE to go to Wendy’s if he didn’t want to.

And then, 3 weeks later yet completely out of the blue (as life seems to go these days) I found myself here today on Wednesday, March 20th.  And according to Toby, it’s Wendy’s birthday party.

It also just so happened that we were alone, just the two of us at skating tonight and I was feeling a little pekish after the grueling hour of watching 5 year old skating lessons.  Toby had a similar feeling.  In fact, coming off the ice tonight we were on the same wavelength,

“Mommy.” He said excitedly, “Tonight is Wendy’s party.  Do you think we should go?”

He didn’t have to ask me twice.

Toby and I had a lovely date night at Wendy’s tonight.  He was a charming companion and had me laughing all the way there.  My socially-cautious boy got a bit worried halfway there and sent me into peals of laughter by repeatedly asking me HOW I knew where Wendy lived and was I SURE I had the right address for her house?  I told him REPEATEDLY that Wendy’s was, in fact, a restaurant similar to McDonalds but each time he pretended to hear me he followed my statement up with an earnest nod and then another question, “OK but are you SURE you know which house she lives at?!?!”

The party, in the end, was worth it.  There were balloons, classmates, French fries and his very first milk shake.  We came home tonight with frosty-infused-exuberance and oodles of stories for Mia and Daddy (as well as an extra burger).

I have to say, date night at Wendy’s was a complete success.   I certainly hope Mrs. Shields approves…

No comments:

Post a Comment