Sunday, April 29, 2012

Our Lady Gaga



 Sometimes life doesn’t turn out EXACTLY as you’ve planned it.

I recognize that introducing a blog post with a statement like that will have everyone wondering who died, which one of us lost their job or what new town we are moving to.  I will forewarn you; to the average person, this unexpected change of plans may seem trivial, but to my mother it was nothing of the sort.

My mother reacted to the news of my first pregnancy with a similar amount of enthusiasm as she reacted to that of my engagement; it was a slow clap.  To put it lightly.  This is not to say she wasn’t excited; lets just she just needed some extra processing time before unleashing the fervent mania of her own excitement.

By the time dinner was finished (after telling her the news of pregnancy #1) mom was CLEARLY going to be OK with it and had ALMOST put aside all implications the news had made on her advancing age.  Not long after acceptance, the discussion soon shifted to more practical concerns:

WHAT was the baby going to call her?

What ensued was a run down of every POSSIBLE name “the baby” could conceive of calling her and why each and every one was COMPLETELY unacceptable ad utterly appalling.

At the end we narrowed it down to the one and ONLY name my mother would ever HEAR of being called: Grandma Lynda.

And then, a mere 7.5 months later, after laying eyes for the first time on her grandson, that stoic-bear-with-me-while-I-get-myself-adjusted-to-change woman who was previously so controlled and precise about her feelings turned into a giant ball of Grandma-Lynda mushiness.

We watched the sappy version of my mother unfold as the days, weeks, and months went by.   Slowly we began to get used to the excited, childlike clapping of her pristinely manicured hands as she entered her house, and the biweekly phone calls that regaled us with her passionate longings for her oh-so-missed grandson.

But the true test came when Toby himself learned to talk and respond to my mother with his own sentiments of love.  As you may remember with your own kids, their first expression of love is in the sweetness of the words, MAMA and DADA .  In Toby’s world only one word could possibly come next and believe it or not, it wasn’t “Grandma Lynda” but a slightly slurred although entirely consistent, GAGA.

Still baffled by the dreamy state of grandmotherly-intoxication that had overtaken my practical mother, we were yet further dumbfounded by the ease at which she took this.  Not only did my mother accept her new nickname (which would have fallen under the ENTIRELY UNACCEPTABLE category 2 years previously) but she proudly flaunted it and asked him to repeat it at every opportunity.  And Gaga she was.

Proving her insanity clairvoyant, she one day called me at work to tell me she had just heard on the news that there was a SINGER named LADY Gaga.  Could I BELIEVE IT?  Yes, I told her, I did know that, but might I suggest that she NOT go and Google it?

And then Mia came along.  

Mia, as well all know, has a mind of her own.  She has developed a few words but doesn’t use them consistently as she prefers her usual “point and hiss” or “point and shriek” which, on the whole, works quite well when it comes to getting-exactly-what-you-want-when-you-want-it.

And so it came as no surprise to all of us when Mia suddenly proclaimed (in a way that only Mia could do) that Grandma Lynda would now go by “Nana”.

If we had ranked the various choices for unacceptable “Grandma” names, I think that NANA would have fallen dead last.  But, as only her grandchildren have EVER been able to do, my now softened mother accepted this entirely prejudiced nickname with grace and joy and is now proudly sporting the name Nana in all its glory.

The other day, feeling rather brave, I pointed this out to my mother and reminded her of the strict criteria she had once imposed on the correct taxonomy of her prestigious position. 

She laughed and sighed before saying, “Well…at least I’m not GRANNY.”

We have no plans for a 3rd child, but I somehow suspect if a mistake were ever to happen, that I know just what baby #3 would call her…

No comments:

Post a Comment