Friday, November 4, 2011

The Case of the Missing Comb

This weekend we are looking after my dad while my mom is away on business.

I have mentioned my dad before on my blog; he gives me some of my very best material. But just to recap, my dad is a very sweet 85 year old man who loves to regale us with Shakespearean sonnets and tales of Smithville and playing hockey in the 1940s. What he’s NOT so great at is remembering what he had for dinner 10 minutes ago, what day of the week it is or WHERE his beloved wife is.

As such, visits with my dad are a lovely opportunity to watch him bond with his grandchildren but are also filled with countless repetitive statements and questions…

Coming up here is not easy for my dad. Although he loves to just sit and watch Toby and Mia play, it is hard for him to be out of his usual routine and away from my mom. From our end, taking care of my dad is easy as long as you follow two simple rules. 1. Always take him with you when you leave the house and 2. Despite how trivial or repetitive the concern, offer the answer and some reassurance.

Last night as we were sitting watching TV dad all of a sudden got into a panic.

“Lyssie! You know what I have LOST? “

(Oh, god PLEASE don’t let it be your teeth or your sleeping pills…)

“My COMB!” he said with a look of utter dismay.

Right. Obeying rule #2 of looking after my dad, I sprung into action. I checked his bathroom and his coat pocket. I scoured the basement as he sat there watching with a look of bewildered helplessness. Ten minutes later, after an unsuccessful sweep of the house, I went into his room and found a black comb sitting on his dresser.

“Is THIS it??” I asked incredulously (SURELY it hadn’t been THAT easy to find – I had assumed he had at LEAST checked his room!)

The look of relief on his face stopped me from criticizing him and I threw my hands in the air in defeat and allowed him this small moment of triumph before asking him WHERE he would like me to put it so he doesn’t “lose it” again.


“Oh, just put it on the dresser in my room.” He said practically.

I have a sinking suspicion we may be reliving this scenario again before the weekend is through….

No comments:

Post a Comment